https://www.wired.com/story/what-is-crispr-gene-editing/?mbid=nl_120517_daily_list3_p1When people refer to Crispr, they’re probably talking about Crispr-Cas9, a complex of enzymes and genetic guides that together finds and edits DNA. But Crispr on its own just stands for Clustered Regularly Interspaced Palindromic Repeats—chunks of regularly recurring bits of DNA that arose as an ancient bacterial defense system against viral invasions.
Everything You Need to Know About Crispr Gene Editing
- How One Strange Rock Made Our World A... — https://www.wired.com/story/one-strange-rock-tv/?CNDID=49046367&mbid=nl_032618_daily_list3_p3In NatGeo’s new docuseries, Darren Aronofsky and a team of nature-doc specialists turn Earth into a miracle experienced from afar. [...]
- US Border Patrol Hasn’t Validated E-P... — https://www.wired.com/story/us-border-patrol-hasnt-validated-e-passport-data-for-years/For over a decade, US Customs and Border Protection has been unable to verify the cryptographic signatures on e-Passports, because they never installed the right software. A skilled hacker could alter the data on an e-Passport chip—like the name, photo, or expiration date—without fear that signature verification would alert a border agent to the changes. [...]
- From Black Panther to X-Men: Dark Pho... — https://www.wired.com/story/most-anticipated-movies-2018/Between Spielbergian sci-fi and Marvel mega-crossovers 2018 is shaping up to be a big year for big movies. SaveSave Early Man (February 16) The latest from Aardman Animations is about, yes, early cavemen and their battle to save their way of life from an evil lord (voiced by Tom Hiddleston) and the inhabitants of nearby [...]
- Greedy, Brittle, Opaque, and Shallow:... — “We are born knowing there are causal relationships in the world, that wholes can be made of parts, and that the world consists of places and objects that persist in space and time,” Gary Marcus says. “No machine ever learned any of that stuff using backprop.” https://www.wired.com/story/greedy-brittle-opaque-and-shallow-the-downsides-to-deep-learning/Gary Marcus, a professor of cognitive psychology at NYU [...]
- The WIRED Guide to Hyperloop — https://www.wired.com/story/guide-hyperloop/Everything you ever wanted to know about Elon Musk’s fever-dream train-in-a-tube. [...]