As the country has awakened to that epidemic, a new mantra has emerged: “We can’t arrest our way out of this,” accompanied by calls for more drug-addiction treatment. Yet the opiate epidemic has swamped our treatment-center infrastructure. Only one in 10 addicts get the treatment they need, according to a 2016 surgeon general’s report. New centers are costly to build, politically difficult to find real estate for and beyond the means of most uninsured street addicts, anyway.
Addicts Need Help. Jails Could Have the Answer.
- There’s still time to say goodbye to ... — There’s still time to say goodbye to Café Ysabel | Inquirer lifestylehttp://lifestyle.inquirer.net/266029/theres-still-time-say-goodbye-cafe-ysabel/The announcement in late 2016 that Café Ysabel would close its doors was met with sadness by diners with fond memories of the restaurant. The 35-year-old landmark dining place closes its doors this month, and its habitués are retrieving memories. It will reopen in [...]
- What Has the Internet Done to Me... — What Has the Internet Done to Media? – NewCo Shifthttps://shift.newco.co/what-has-internet-done-to-media-becbb610006bThe digital advertising market is highly centralized with Google and Facebook controlling almost 50% of digital advertising dollars in the US in 2016. But there’s no economic incentive for an early adopter or a discoverer of such a product to profit from helping to spread the [...]
- Preparing for the August 2017 Total S... — Preparing for the August 2017 Total Solar Eclipse | NASAhttps://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/preparing-for-the-august-2017-total-solar-eclipseOn Aug. 21, 2017, the moon will pass in front of the sun and cast a shadow upon all of North America, coast-to-coast, for the first time since 1918. The total solar eclipse begins near Lincoln City, Oregon, at 10:15 a.m. PDT (1:15 p.m. EDT). Totality ends [...]
- Mark Zuckerberg Should Really Listen ... — https://www.wired.com/2017/05/mark-zuckerberg-really-listen/?mbid=nl_52617In its latest diversity report, from 2016, Facebook said that 4 percent of its US-based employees are Hispanic and 2 percent were black. Those depressing statistics—at a company that wants to provide the social infrastructure for the entire globe—are the exact same percentages Facebook reported in 2014, the first year it disclosed the diversity of its [...]
- Science turns paintings into photos b... — Science turns paintings into photos because Prisma is so 2016https://thenextweb.com/photography/2017/04/04/science-turns-paintings-photos-prisma-2016/Ever thought the work of the masters didn’t look realistic enough to you? Researchers at UC Berkeley have created a way to make classic paintings look frighteningly close to photographs. The researchers used a process called “image-to-image translation,” which reconstructs paintings as pictures, among other things. [...]