As the country has awakened to that epidemic, a new mantra has emerged: “We can’t arrest our way out of this,” accompanied by calls for more drug-addiction treatment. Yet the opiate epidemic has swamped our treatment-center infrastructure. Only one in 10 addicts get the treatment they need, according to a 2016 surgeon general’s report. New centers are costly to build, politically difficult to find real estate for and beyond the means of most uninsured street addicts, anyway.
Addicts Need Help. Jails Could Have the Answer.
- Mark Zuckerberg’s Fake News Problem I... — Mark Zuckerberg’s Political Awakening – Bloomberghttps://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-09-21/mark-zuckerberg-s-political-awakeningFacebook has 2 billion users, record profits, vast influence, and big problems in Washington. The Russia investigations complicate Zuckerberg’s efforts to shore up support for Facebook in the wake of a bitter election. Even as the company enjoys record profitability—its market value has more than doubled since 2015, to $500 [...]
- Justice for Kian Lloyd de los Santos ... — Justice for Kian Lloyd de los Santos and Other Victims of ‘Genocidal’ Anti-drug Campaignhttps://firstname.lastname@example.org/justice-for-kian-lloyd-de-los-santos-and-other-victims-of-genocidal-anti-drug-campaign-77e3fe580cce“The Philippine PEN Congress of 22 November 2016 expresses grave concern over the mounting number of killings under the anti-drug campaign of the government of President Rodrigo Duterte. It is likewise alarmed that the political rhetoric of President Duterte and his government [...]
- Herrera Bladeless Drone — Herrera Bladeless Drone | Uncratehttps://uncrate.com/article/herrera-bladeless-drone/Winner of a 2016 Red Dot Design Concept award, the Bladeless Drone from Mexico’s Edgar Herrera takes on the two biggest problems with traditional drones: blades and the noise they create. By using a series of air ducts and vents, it achieves flight without the dangers posed by exposed blades. The [...]
- There’s still time to say goodbye to ... — There’s still time to say goodbye to Café Ysabel | Inquirer lifestylehttp://lifestyle.inquirer.net/266029/theres-still-time-say-goodbye-cafe-ysabel/The announcement in late 2016 that Café Ysabel would close its doors was met with sadness by diners with fond memories of the restaurant. The 35-year-old landmark dining place closes its doors this month, and its habitués are retrieving memories. It will reopen in [...]
- What Has the Internet Done to Media? — What Has the Internet Done to Media? – NewCo Shifthttps://shift.newco.co/what-has-internet-done-to-media-becbb610006bThe digital advertising market is highly centralized with Google and Facebook controlling almost 50% of digital advertising dollars in the US in 2016. But there’s no economic incentive for an early adopter or a discoverer of such a product to profit from helping to spread the [...]