As the country has awakened to that epidemic, a new mantra has emerged: “We can’t arrest our way out of this,” accompanied by calls for more drug-addiction treatment. Yet the opiate epidemic has swamped our treatment-center infrastructure. Only one in 10 addicts get the treatment they need, according to a 2016 surgeon general’s report. New centers are costly to build, politically difficult to find real estate for and beyond the means of most uninsured street addicts, anyway.
Addicts Need Help. Jails Could Have the Answer.
- 2017’s best tech gifts for the ... — 2017’s best tech gifts for the holidays – TechRepublichttps://www.techrepublic.com/article/2017s-best-tech-gifts-for-holidays/?ftag=TRE684d531&bhid=27689259515740508250262421970472Stumped on stocking stuffers? TechRepublic’s gift guides compile the best gadgets for everyone on your holiday gift list. From tech gadgets like drones to wearables like the Apple Watch to Raspberry Pis, TechRepublic put together a list of great holiday gift ideas for your kids, family members, [...]
- 15 Tech Gifts for Your Pampered Pet — 15 Tech Gifts for Your Pampered Pet | PCMag.comhttps://www.pcmag.com/feature/340440/15-tech-gifts-for-your-pampered-pet?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=whatsnewnow&utm_medium=titleIn 1994, US owners of dogs, cats, and other household pets spent a measly $17 billion on their furry friends, according to the American Pet Products Association. As of 2016, companion animal spending was up to $66.75 billion, a number that’s expected to jump to $69.36 billion [...]
- Ahoy Travelers: These Are Your Rights... — https://www.wired.com/2016/11/ahoy-travelers-rights-airlines-screw/?mbid=nl_112217_daily_list3_p2And some tips and tricks for making your delayed flight as pleasant as possible. [...]
- Frequent Flier Miles Are Kaput—The Ga... — https://www.wired.com/2016/11/frequent-flier-miles-kaput-games-credit-cards-now/?mbid=nl_112117_daily_list1_p4You may feel betrayed, but there’s still a way to score rewards in the air. [...]
- In Spain, democracy and law are being... — In Spain, democracy and law are being reduced to hollow shells | Kenan Malik | Opinion | The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/05/in-spain-democracy-and-law-reduced-to-hollow-shells?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=250944&subid=19723158&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2Catalonia’s problems demand political debate, not jail: Eight former ministers of the ousted Catalonian government are in prison, awaiting charges of sedition and rebellion. A European arrest warrant has been issued for the apprehension of former Catalan [...]