2016 HAS BEEN the biggest year for the Harry Potter universe since the book series ended in 2007. In April, its Universal Studios theme park expanded to Hollywood; over the summer, a stage prequel debuted in London, with a story courtesy of J.K. Rowling herself. And now comes the film adaptation of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, a fictional textbook Potter and his classmates studied at Hogwarts. But all this fan service—known in more cynical circles as “brand expansion”—has caused the world that Rowling created to sag under its own weight.
OK, J.K. Rowling—Enough Already With the World-Building
- Brixton portraits celebrate life and ... — Brixton portraits celebrate life and soul of the street – BBC Newshttps://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-44371914Photographer Charlie Clift took to the streets of Brixton to capture images that celebrate the life, soul and character of the London community. [...]
- 100 Movies Scratch Off Poster — 100 Movies Scratch Off Poster | Classic Movies, Film Buff | UncommonGoodshttps://www.uncommongoods.com/product/100-movies-scratch-off-posterTake a deep dive into movie magic with this poster that invites you to screen 100 iconic films. [...]
- UPS has new electric trucks that look... — UPS has new electric trucks that look straight out of a Pixar moviehttps://www.engadget.com/2018/05/09/ups-electric-trucks-arrival/UPS has revealed sleek new electric trucks that look like they’ve rolled straight out of Pixar’s Cars series. The company revealed it’s working with vehicle manufacturer Arrival on a pilot fleet of 35 lightweight electric trucks that look far more futuristic than the [...]
- Duterte reads ‘Economics for Dummies’... — A dummy gives a lecture, who’s listening? [...]
- Sweetbitter – TV Series (2018– ) — “Sweetbitter,” Reviewed: A Restaurant Story Where the Drama Is in the Dining Room | The New Yorkerhttps://www.newyorker.com/culture/on-television/sweetbitter-reviewed-a-restaurant-story-where-the-drama-is-in-the-dining-room?mbid=nl_Daily%20050818&CNDID=50268964&spMailingID=13466841&spUserID=MjA0NTE2Mjc4MjE5S0&spJobID=1400714066&spReportId=MTQwMDcxNDA2NgS2In the Starz adaptation of Stephanie Danler’s dishy waitressing novel, the focus is on the sex, drugs, and service at the “front of the house.” Sweetbitter (TV Series 2018– ) – IMDbhttps://www.imdb.com/title/tt7563270/Created by Stephanie Danler. With Ella Purnell, Evan [...]