There’s plenty of blame to go around, but the list of actors has to start with Facebook. And for all its wonders — reaching nearly 2 billion people each month, driving more traffic and attention to news than anything else on earth — it’s also become a single point of failure for civic information.
- iPhone X’s Face ID has at least 3 coo... — iPhone X’s Face ID has at least 3 cool hidden features – CNEThttps://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-x-face-id-cool-hidden-features/?ftag=CAD1acfa04&bhid=27170905380744054130315685538756And we don’t mean selfie portraits or animated poop. Apple’s least-flashy use for Face ID may be its most convenient for phone owners, because in order to benefit from it, you won’t have to do anything at all. This subtler part of Face [...]
- Snapchat filters for funerals? Yes, t... — Snapchat filters for funerals? Yes, that’s really a thing – CNEThttps://www.cnet.com/news/snapchat-filters-for-funerals-yes-thats-really-a-thing/?ftag=CAD1acfa04&bhid=27170905380744054130315685538756Many people set up special filters for birthdays, graduations and weddings. Funerals are just a logical, if unusual, next step. Snapchat has this geofilter, typically silly or cartoony digital images and words that highlight your location. This time, Buchanan created a custom one for her [...]
- Mark Zuckerberg’s Fake News Problem I... — Mark Zuckerberg’s Political Awakening – Bloomberghttps://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-09-21/mark-zuckerberg-s-political-awakeningFacebook has 2 billion users, record profits, vast influence, and big problems in Washington. The Russia investigations complicate Zuckerberg’s efforts to shore up support for Facebook in the wake of a bitter election. Even as the company enjoys record profitability—its market value has more than doubled since 2015, to $500 [...]
- Facebook Hands Over 3K Russia-Linked ... — News: Facebook Hands Over 3K Russia-Linked Ads to Congresshttp://sea.pcmag.com/news/17556/facebook-hands-over-3k-russia-linked-ads-to-congressFacebook initially shared details about the ads with former FBI director Robert Mueller’s special counsel, but did not provide Congress with as much data, citing privacy concerns. The decision to provide Congress with that data came after “an extensive legal and policy review,” Elliot Schrage, VP of [...]
- Facebook’s war on free will — Facebook’s war on free will | Technology | The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/19/facebooks-war-on-free-will?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethitsThe long read: How technology is making our minds redundant [...]