There’s plenty of blame to go around, but the list of actors has to start with Facebook. And for all its wonders — reaching nearly 2 billion people each month, driving more traffic and attention to news than anything else on earth — it’s also become a single point of failure for civic information.
- Can Cryptocurrency Mining Save the Me... — News: Can Cryptocurrency Mining Save the Media Business?http://sea.pcmag.com/news/19588/can-cryptocurrency-mining-save-the-media-businessThe media company Salon is testing an alternative to online ads that’ll serve a cryptocurrency miner that can help the publisher generate revenue. The miner—which requires people to opt in—runs over your internet browser and siphons away a PC’s excess computing power to generate a virtual currency called [...]
- “Wired” reports on Facebo... — [...]
- Kenya’s Dangerous Path Toward A... — It’s beginning to look a lot like… Hitler! Our proud president should know! Go Pinoy Pride! Kenya’s Dangerous Path Toward Authoritarianism | The New Yorkerhttps://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/kenyas-dangerous-path-toward-authoritarianism?mbid=nl_Daily%20021018%20Control&CNDID=50268964&spMailingID=12907812&spUserID=MjA0NTE2Mjc4MjE5S0&spJobID=1340854494&spReportId=MTM0MDg1NDQ5NAS2A recent media blackout has raised questions about the strength of democracy and the judiciary in East Africa’s most economically powerful nation. SaveSave [...]
- Instagram Is Turning Into Facebook, a... — Instagram Is Turning Into Facebook, and That’s Bad – WSJhttps://www.wsj.com/articles/instagram-is-turning-into-facebook-and-thats-bad-1517422670Facebook Inc. has owned Instagram since 2012 but the two have felt totally different—until recently, when Instagram started using many of the same digital tricks Facebook pioneered to keep you scrolling longer. Part of what made Instagram great was that your main feed was a stream [...]
- Philippine SEC to Develop Cryptocurre... — Philippine SEC to Develop Cryptocurrency Regulationshttps://news.bitcoin.com/106900-2/The Philippine Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has indicated that it is currently developing a regulatory framework designed to govern cryptocurrency transactions. The regulator emphasized the need for legislation pertaining to initial coin offerings (ICOs) in particular. [...]