The Verge said it perfectly: “If Black Mirror could be summed up in one sentence, it’d probably be ‘Technology is exciting, but people are awful, and they keep finding the worst ways to apply it.’” If you’re a fan of the show, you might think it’s an interesting glimpse into the future. But, some of the technology you see throughout the series already exists in nascent stages. The six products mentioned will give you a taste of a future that’s already here.
Black Mirror Tech That’s Already Here!
- Gab is suing Google for allegedly vio... — Gab is suing Google for allegedly violating antitrust laws – The Washington Posthttps://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/09/15/gab-is-suing-google-for-allegedly-violating-antitrust-laws/?hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-technology%3Ahomepage%2FcardThe lawsuit is the latest salvo in a battle pitting right-leaning technologists against Silicon Valley giants. Gab alleges in the lawsuit that “Google deprives competitors, on a discriminatory basis, of access to the App Store, which an essential facility or resource.” [...]
- Emmy Awards reflect TV’s new wo... — Emmy Awards reflect TV's new world order – LA Timeshttp://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-emmys-news-story-20170917-story.html#nt=oft07a-3gp1Who were the big winners at the 69th primetime Emmy Awards? Streaming video solidified its place as the vanguard for television creativity as Hulu’s “The Handmaid’s Tale” was honored with five statuettes including outstanding drama series at the 69th Emmy Awards. [...]
- Emmys 2017: The Complete Winners List — Emmys: Winners List 2017 | Hollywood Reporterhttp://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/emmys-winners-list-2017-1035991Hulu’s ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ won for best drama series, while HBO’s ‘Veep’ nabbed best comedy series honors. [...]
- Apple’s new watch has traders p... — The new Apple Watch has traders punishing Swatch – Business Insiderhttp://www.businessinsider.com/apple-watch-series-3-swatch-stock-price-investors-hedging-big-2017-9Swatch, the $21 billion Swiss watchmaker, dropped as much as 4.5% on Wednesday when European trading opened, losing almost $1 billion in market value in the process. [...]
- Flying to US to get an iPhone X is ch... — Flying to US to get an iPhone X is cheaper than buying in Europe. It’s also illegal | Technology | The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/14/flying-us-iphone-x-cheaper-than-buying-europe-illegal-hmrc-vat?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=243679&subid=19723158&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2HMRC’s rules are clear: you’ve got to pay VAT on your £390-plus US purchases when you fly home, which makes those big savings a lot less appealing [...]