The latest Black Mirror series from Charlie Brooker presents, despite its transition to Netflix, another unsettling collection of future shock nightmares drawn from consumer technology and social media trends. The second episode, Playtest, has an American tourist lured to a British game development studio to test a new augmented-reality horror game that engages directly with each player’s brain via a biorobotic implant. The AI program mines the character’s darkest fears and manifests them into the real-world as photorealistic graphics. Inevitably, terror and mental breakdown follow.
- ‘Way too little, way too late... — ‘Way too little, way too late’: Facebook’s factcheckers say effort is failing | Technology | The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/13/way-too-little-way-too-late-facebooks-fact-checkers-say-effort-is-failing?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=252187&subid=19723158&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2Journalists fighting spread of fake news raise concerns over possible conflicts of interest and say site has refused to disclose needed data [...]
- Sean Parker unloads on Facebook ̶... — Sean Parker unloads on Facebook “exploiting” human weaknesshttps://www.axios.com/sean-parker-unloads-on-facebook-2508036343.html?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethitsSean Parker, the founding president of Facebook, gave me a candid insider’s look at how social networks purposely hook and potentially hurt our brains. “I don’t know if I really understood the consequences of what I was saying, because [of] the unintended consequences of a network when it [...]
- Everything you wanted to know about b... — Everything you wanted to know about bitcoin but were afraid to ask | Technology | The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/11/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-bitcoin-but-were-to-afraid-to-ask-cryptocurrencies?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=251943&subid=19723158&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2The value of cryptocurrencies is rising fast. But is it sustainable? And how does it work, anyway? These questions, and many more, answered… [...]
- Review: Jibo Social Robot — https://www.wired.com/2017/11/review-jibo-social-robot/?mbid=nl_110817_daily_list3_p2This robot roommate holds a lot of promise but still has a long way to go. SaveSave [...]
- No, Facebook isn’t spying on yo... — No, Facebook isn’t spying on you. At least not with the microphone | Technology | The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/09/facebook-spying-on-you-microphone-creepy-data-conspiracy-theories?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=251658&subid=19723158&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2The sheer volume of data Facebook has on you is difficult to comprehend, which makes it incredibly creepy – and ripe for conspiracy theories. The unsettling ability of Facebook to make accurate guesses based on what feels like barely [...]