The latest Black Mirror series from Charlie Brooker presents, despite its transition to Netflix, another unsettling collection of future shock nightmares drawn from consumer technology and social media trends. The second episode, Playtest, has an American tourist lured to a British game development studio to test a new augmented-reality horror game that engages directly with each player’s brain via a biorobotic implant. The AI program mines the character’s darkest fears and manifests them into the real-world as photorealistic graphics. Inevitably, terror and mental breakdown follow.
- Facebook’s war on free will — Facebook’s war on free will | Technology | The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/19/facebooks-war-on-free-will?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethitsThe long read: How technology is making our minds redundant [...]
- Gab is suing Google for allegedly vio... — Gab is suing Google for allegedly violating antitrust laws – The Washington Posthttps://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/09/15/gab-is-suing-google-for-allegedly-violating-antitrust-laws/?hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-technology%3Ahomepage%2FcardThe lawsuit is the latest salvo in a battle pitting right-leaning technologists against Silicon Valley giants. Gab alleges in the lawsuit that “Google deprives competitors, on a discriminatory basis, of access to the App Store, which an essential facility or resource.” [...]
- This is your brain on art — This is your brain on art – Washington Posthttps://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/lifestyle/your-brain-on-art/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_sa-kaufman-1218pm%3Ahomepage%2FstoryWhen we experience art, we feel connected to something larger. Why? If you think about it, having a great time at the theater defies logic in many ways. We’re surrounded by strangers, bombarded with unusual images and often faced with a wordless language of symbols. Yet, on [...]
- Flying to US to get an iPhone X is ch... — Flying to US to get an iPhone X is cheaper than buying in Europe. It’s also illegal | Technology | The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/14/flying-us-iphone-x-cheaper-than-buying-europe-illegal-hmrc-vat?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=243679&subid=19723158&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2HMRC’s rules are clear: you’ve got to pay VAT on your £390-plus US purchases when you fly home, which makes those big savings a lot less appealing [...]
- How ‘Black Mirror’ Predic... — ‘Black Mirror’ Predicted New Apple Technology | Hollywood Reporterhttp://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/black-mirror-predicted-new-apple-technology-1038237After Apple unveiled its Face ID feature, the Twitter account for Charlie Brooker’s Netflix anthology responded with its own memorable avatar from 2013. [...]