“The Original” runs close to 75 minutes, and needs nearly every minute of that running time to properly introduce its sprawling cast of characters(*), explain how the park works — and the ways in which it’s beginning to not work — and begin laying out the underlying themes of the world that interest Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy. The repetitive nature of the lives of the robotic “hosts” — basically, a Groundhog Day told from the point of view of one of the Punxsutawney residents who are oblivious to the time loop — is important to the story Nolan and Joy are telling, and require additional time to properly establish here at the beginning, but it makes the premiere something of a slog, and a deliberately disorienting one.
Review: Did the ‘Westworld’ premiere live up to expectations?
- Oculus Go review: Portable VR, no str... — Oculus Go review: $199 VR, no strings attached – CNEThttps://www.cnet.com/products/oculus-go/review/?ftag=CAD1acfa04&bhid=27170905380744054130315685538756The first standalone VR system has arrived, no phone required. [...]
- Isle of Dogs review – a canine tale o... — Isle of Dogs review – a canine tale of strange beauty | Film | The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/apr/01/isle-of-dogs-review-wes-anderson?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=269782&subid=19723158&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2With none of the archness of his Fantastic Mr Fox, Wes Anderson’s gorgeous new stop-motion tale is a funny, touching, doggy delight [...]
- The Best TV Shows of 2017 — Emily Nussbaum: The Best TV Shows of 2017 | The New Yorkerhttps://www.newyorker.com/culture/2017-in-review/definitely-not-a-top-ten-list-the-best-tv-shows-of-2017?mbid=nl_Daily%20123017&CNDID=50268964&spMailingID=12654648&spUserID=MjA0NTE2Mjc4MjE5S0&spJobID=1302620420&spReportId=MTMwMjYyMDQyMAS2They’re mostly shows that took big risks; but, equally important, they offered big pleasures. [...]
- The Best Movies of 2017 — The Best Movies of 2017 | The New Yorkerhttps://www.newyorker.com/culture/2017-in-review/the-best-movies-of-2017?mbid=nl_Daily%20123017&CNDID=50268964&spMailingID=12654648&spUserID=MjA0NTE2Mjc4MjE5S0&spJobID=1302620420&spReportId=MTMwMjYyMDQyMAS2The best movies aren’t only ones that include new voices; they’re also ones that include voices in new ways. [...]
- The Books We Loved in 2017 — The Books We Loved in 2017 | The New Yorkerhttps://www.newyorker.com/culture/2017-in-review/the-books-we-loved-in-2017?mbid=nl_Daily%20123017&CNDID=50268964&spMailingID=12654648&spUserID=MjA0NTE2Mjc4MjE5S0&spJobID=1302620420&spReportId=MTMwMjYyMDQyMAS2New Yorker writers pick their favorite reads in a year that too often seemed like fiction. SaveSave [...]