Forster’s thriller is just one of 11,000 novels that researchers including Oriol Vinyals and Andrew M Dai at Google Brain have been using to improve the technology giant’s conversational style. After feeding these books into a neural network, the system was able to generate fluent, natural-sounding sentences. According to a Google spokesman – who didn’t want to be named – products such as the Google app will be “much more useful if they can capture the nuance of language better”.
- iPhone X’s Face ID has at least 3 coo... — iPhone X’s Face ID has at least 3 cool hidden features – CNEThttps://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-x-face-id-cool-hidden-features/?ftag=CAD1acfa04&bhid=27170905380744054130315685538756And we don’t mean selfie portraits or animated poop. Apple’s least-flashy use for Face ID may be its most convenient for phone owners, because in order to benefit from it, you won’t have to do anything at all. This subtler part of Face [...]
- iOS 11: toggling wifi and Bluetooth i... — iOS 11: toggling wifi and Bluetooth in Control Centre doesn’t actually turn them off | Technology | The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/21/ios-11-apple-toggling-wifi-bluetooth-control-centre-doesnt-turn-them-off?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=244655&subid=19723158&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2Quick switch simply disconnects phone from access points and devices rather than turning off the radios, in move criticised by security researchers [...]
- Facebook’s war on free will — Facebook’s war on free will | Technology | The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/19/facebooks-war-on-free-will?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethitsThe long read: How technology is making our minds redundant [...]
- Gab is suing Google for allegedly vio... — Gab is suing Google for allegedly violating antitrust laws – The Washington Posthttps://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/09/15/gab-is-suing-google-for-allegedly-violating-antitrust-laws/?hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-technology%3Ahomepage%2FcardThe lawsuit is the latest salvo in a battle pitting right-leaning technologists against Silicon Valley giants. Gab alleges in the lawsuit that “Google deprives competitors, on a discriminatory basis, of access to the App Store, which an essential facility or resource.” [...]
- This is your brain on art — This is your brain on art – Washington Posthttps://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/lifestyle/your-brain-on-art/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_sa-kaufman-1218pm%3Ahomepage%2FstoryWhen we experience art, we feel connected to something larger. Why? If you think about it, having a great time at the theater defies logic in many ways. We’re surrounded by strangers, bombarded with unusual images and often faced with a wordless language of symbols. Yet, on [...]