One of the hottest talents in Hollywood today, JJ Abrams talks to Mark Kermode about his latest turn at the helm of the Starship Enterprise, his lifelong love of filmmaking and the passion for mystery that lies at the heart of everything he does. New York born Abrams has conquered both television and film, bringing landmark TV series Lost to the small screen while collaborating with film industry royalty Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg for box office hits Mission: Impossible III and Super 8. Self-confessed geek and ultimate fan boy, Jeffrey Jacob Abrams is about to take on the daunting task of directing the new Star Wars film. In this programme JJ takes Mark on an exclusive tour of Bad Robot, the top secret Los Angeles hub of his production company and provides a rare glimpse into where the magic happens.
The Magic Tricks of JJ Abrams: A Culture Show Special
- This is what a 50-qubit quantum compu... — This is what a 50-qubit quantum computer looks likehttps://www.engadget.com/2018/01/09/this-is-what-a-50-qubit-quantum-computer-looks-like/From afar, it looks like a steampunk chandelier. An intricate collection of tubes and wires that culminate in a small steel cylinder at the bottom. It is, in fact, one of the most sophisticated quantum computers ever built. The processor inside has 50 quantum bits, or qubits, [...]
- LG Display’s giant rollable OLE... — LG Display’s giant rollable OLED TV is indistinguishable from magichttps://www.engadget.com/2018/01/08/lg-display-giant-rollable-oled-4k-tv/Now you see it, now you don’t. [...]
- Social Media Is Making Us Dumber. Her... — Social Media Is Making Us Dumber. Here’s Exhibit A. – The New York Timeshttps://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/opinion/social-media-dumber-steven-pinker.html?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits&_r=1Steven Pinker is a liberal, Jewish professor. But social media convinced people that he’s a darling of the alt-right. It’s actually a worthwhile episode to unpack, because it highlights a disturbing, worsening tendency in social media in which tribal allegiances are replacing [...]
- Why Black Mirror’s Most Controv... — https://www.wired.com/story/black-mirror-black-museum/?mbid=nl_010618_daily_list1_p3“Black Museum” gives us a catharsis that’s all too lacking for some. Akin to the show’s haunting holiday special, “White Christmas,” “Black Museum” plays out in a nightmarish triptych, massaging three seemingly disparate stories into a single narrative. It’s a victory, and an ending that defies the natural biology of the series—and in being so, [...]
- Free Your Mind? ‘Black Mirror’ Isn’t ... — Free Your Mind? ‘Black Mirror’ Isn’t Too Hopeful – The New York Timeshttps://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/30/arts/television/black-mirror-season-4-netflix.html?hpw&rref=television&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region®ion=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0A new season of Netflix’s digital-age creep show warns that technology can empower misanthropes and misogynists. SaveSave [...]