America Revealed (Episode 1): Over the past century, an American industrial revolution has given rise to the biggest, most productive food machine the world has ever known. For the first time in human history, less than 2% of the population can feed the other 98%. Host Yul Kwon discovers engineering marvels we’ve created by putting nature to work and takes a look at the costs of our insatiable appetite on our health and environment.
PBS: America Revealed
- How to Win a War on Drugs — How to Win a War on Drugs – The New York Timeshttps://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/opinion/sunday/portugal-drug-decriminalization.html?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethitsDecades ago, the United States and Portugal both struggled with illicit drugs and took decisive action — in diametrically opposite directions. The U.S. cracked down vigorously, spending billions of dollars incarcerating drug users. In contrast, Portugal undertook a monumental experiment: It decriminalized the use [...]
- Leptospirosis no longer a seasonal he... — The numbers indicate infection is not necessarily due to rains and flooding alone. From January 1 to August 5, a total of 910 cases were reported, nearly double the number recorded in the same period last year. The rainy season officially started in the last week of May. In previous years, cases would peak during [...]
- New York City’s Secret World of Exoti... — The Exotic Pets of New York City | The New Yorkerhttps://www.newyorker.com/culture/photo-booth/the-exotic-pets-of-new-york-city?mbid=nl_170826_Daily&CNDID=50268964&spMailingID=11781083&spUserID=MjA0NTE2Mjc4MjE5S0&spJobID=1222331610&spReportId=MTIyMjMzMTYxMAS2According to the N.Y.C. health code, “wild” animals cannot be kept in the city without a special permit. That doesn’t stop people from keeping them as pets. [...]
- There’s an unforeseen benefit t... — There's an unforeseen benefit to California's physician-assisted death law – LA Timeshttp://www.latimes.com/health/la-me-end-of-life-care-20170821-htmlstory.htmlSome doctors in California felt uncomfortable last year when a new law began allowing terminally ill patients to request lethal medicines, saying their careers had been dedicated to saving lives, not ending them. Doctors say California’s End of Life Option Act has improved medical [...]
- Your Healthy Lifestyle Won’t Ne... — The idea that lifestyle modification can lead to a better, more illness-free existence is a seductive one. It seems to offer a way of taking real ownership of your health. It implies that, with the right knowledge, you can predict which maladies you stand the greatest chance of facing. This is not, however, how disease [...]