Yahoo News: Google this week rolled out an Internet service called Orkut, a challenge to the pioneering social networking site Friendster, after Friendster’s rejection late last year of Google’s offer to buy the site.
- Google’s AI Manifesto: Accountability... — Google’s AI Manifesto: Accountability, Privacy, and No Killer Robots – ExtremeTechhttps://www.extremetech.com/extreme/270922-googles-ai-manifesto-accountability-privacy-and-no-killer-robots?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=whatsnewnow&utm_medium=titleGoogle lists seven core values for its AI research and lists several applications that are off-limits. Google’s general objectives for AI include being socially beneficial, avoiding creating or reinforcing unfair bias, being built and tested for safety, being accountable to people, incorporating privacy design principles, [...]
- Facebook is under fire and may face f... — Facebook is under fire and may face fines — again — for potentially mishandling users’ data – The Washington Posthttps://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2018/06/04/facebook-is-under-fire-and-may-face-fines-once-again-for-potentially-mishandling-users-data/?utm_term=.a5c5bd18f223Facebook’s arrangements with Amazon, Apple, BlackBerry and Samsung that allowed their devices to access data from the social network’s users could further expose Facebook to steep fines and other penalties. [...]
- BEWARE: Wendy’s Hack = BDO Phis... — The April 23 hack of fast food chain Wendy’s Philippines exposing over 80,000 records is now being used by the hackers to send phishing emails purportedly from BDO asking to verify your account. Obviously, DO NOT click on the button as it DOES NOT direct you to bdo.com.ph, but to dsi.mtsu.edu which is perhaps another compromised site housing a fake [...]
- European lawmakers told Mark Zuckerbe... — European lawmakers told Mark Zuckerberg they could regulate — or break up — Facebook – The Washington Posthttps://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2018/05/22/zuckerberg-european-parliament-facebook-testimony/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.da7dec2dfcd2Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg is set to field tough questions Tuesday from European policymakers who are investigating the social network’s recent privacy mishaps. [...]
- Google Removes ‘Don’t Be ... — https://gizmodo-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/gizmodo.com/google-removes-nearly-all-mentions-of-dont-be-evil-from-1826153393/amp?amp_js_v=a1&_gsa=1&ref=donvy.com#ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fgizmodo.com%2Fgoogle-removes-nearly-all-mentions-of-dont-be-evil-from-1826153393 Google’s unofficial motto has long been the simple phrase “don’t be evil.” But that’s over, according to the code of conduct that Google distributes to its employees. The phrase was removed sometime in late April or early May, archives hosted by the Wayback Machine show. [...]