Carphone Warehouse, one of the largest mobile phone retailers in the UK, this week quietly began selling the Pogo device, which claims to offer greater than 56K connection speeds to the Internet without waiting for 3G mobile phones to come into use. It’s also a PDA and web browser using a proprietary operating system and data compression software that, they say, allows very fast downloads of HTML (not WAP) web pages.
Pogo Phone/PDA now available
- Apple’s Secret New iPhone Just Made T... — Apple’s Secret New iPhone Just Made This 86-Year-Old a Billionaire – Bloomberghttps://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-13/taiwan-s-chip-giant-creates-a-new-billionaire-on-iphone-outlookTaiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) shares have surged 27 percent in the past year, lifting founder and Chairman Morris Chang’s personal fortune to $1 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. The climbing valuation is being fueled by optimism for a revenue boost from [...]
- WIRED Awake June 7: France plans to b... — WIRED Awake June 7: France plans to ban petrol and diesel cars | WIRED UKhttp://www.wired.co.uk/article/wired-awake-070717?mbid=nl_7717_p10&CNDID=49046367France’s environment minister has outlined plans to eliminate petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040, memory sales have driven Samsung’s biggest ever quarterly profit, Google-backed journalism fund invests in robot reporters for the UK, you’re about to get more control over your [...]
- Camera maker RED is building a phone ... — Camera maker RED is building a phone with a ‘holographic’ screenhttps://www.engadget.com/2017/07/06/red-hydrogen-one/The people behind the crazy-expensive RED cameras are making a crazy-expensive, holographic phone. The company just revealed its plans to release the Hydrogen One, a high-powered, unlocked Android smartphone with prices starting at an eye-watering $1,195. That gets you an aluminum phone with some crazy [...]
- Google’s DeepMind Trial Failed ... — News: Google’s DeepMind Trial Failed to Comply With Data Protection Lawshttp://sea.pcmag.com/news/16412/googles-deepmind-trial-failed-to-comply-with-data-protectionA year-long investigation found that patients were not adequately informed that medical data would be used as part of a trial of Streams, a mobile app designed to help with the real-time detection of acute kidney injury (AKI). “There’s no doubt the huge potential that [...]
- Bringing ‘War for the Planet of... — Bringing ‘War for the Planet of the Apes’ to life – CNEThttps://www.cnet.com/news/bringing-war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-to-life/?ftag=CAD1acfa04&bhid=27170905380744054130315685538756The movie is packed full of close-ups of the characters. There’s an astounding level of detail in the apes’ skin and fur, with every hair and eyelash clearly defined. Most of all, the glistening eyes are full of emotion. “War for the Planet of [...]