NEC’s new PaPeRo is 40 cm tall, completely self-sufficient, and all processing is done inside the shell as there are no means of communications with external processing units. With the help of its three ears the PaPeRo is able to recognize over 650 phrases and speak more than 3000 phrases itself. It also has two CCD cameras, enabling it to recognize its owner, and in a combination with ultrasonic sensors this is also what enables the robot to walk around a room without bumping into any obstacles.
NEC’s PaPeRo Robot
- ‘Antibiotic apocalypse’: doctors soun... — ‘Antibiotic apocalypse’: doctors sound alarm over drug resistance | Society | The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/oct/08/world-faces-antibiotic-apocalypse-says-chief-medical-officer?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=247057&subid=19723158&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2The terrifying prospect that even routine operations will be impossible to perform has been raised by experts alarmed by the rise of drug-resistant genes [...]
- Star Wars and UBTECH combine for voic... — Star Wars and UBTECH combine for voice-controlled First Order Stormtrooper robot | 9to5Toyshttps://9to5toys.com/2017/10/03/ubtech-first-order-storm-trooper-robot/With the latest Star Wars film slated to hit theaters in just a few months, we’ve already seen some fantastic toys from LEGO and Sphero that feature characters from the anticipated sci-fi sci-fi blockbuster. [...]
- Robot caregivers are saving the elder... — Robot caregivers are saving the elderly from lives of lonelinesshttps://www.engadget.com/2017/08/29/robot-caregivers-are-saving-the-elderly-from-lives-of-loneliness/The robots of tomorrow will be your grandparents’ new best friends [...]
- This Little Robot Finds Leaks in Wate... — News: This Little Robot Finds Leaks in Water, Gas Pipeshttp://sea.pcmag.com/news/16698/this-little-robot-finds-leaks-in-water-gas-pipesA group of researchers from MIT have developed a small robot that can inspect water and gas pipes from the inside to locate leaks before they become a big problem. “These leaks not only make shortages worse but also can cause serious structural damage to buildings [...]
- WIRED Awake June 7: France plans to b... — WIRED Awake June 7: France plans to ban petrol and diesel cars | WIRED UKhttp://www.wired.co.uk/article/wired-awake-070717?mbid=nl_7717_p10&CNDID=49046367France’s environment minister has outlined plans to eliminate petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040, memory sales have driven Samsung’s biggest ever quarterly profit, Google-backed journalism fund invests in robot reporters for the UK, you’re about to get more control over your [...]