The twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York disappeared after two explosions followed the crash into them of two airplanes in what may have been a terrorist attack Tuesday morning (late night in Manila). More from Inquirer.
- Social Media Is Making Us Dumber. Her... — Social Media Is Making Us Dumber. Here’s Exhibit A. – The New York Timeshttps://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/opinion/social-media-dumber-steven-pinker.html?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits&_r=1Steven Pinker is a liberal, Jewish professor. But social media convinced people that he’s a darling of the alt-right. It’s actually a worthwhile episode to unpack, because it highlights a disturbing, worsening tendency in social media in which tribal allegiances are replacing [...]
- Free Your Mind? ‘Black Mirror’ Isn’t ... — Free Your Mind? ‘Black Mirror’ Isn’t Too Hopeful – The New York Timeshttps://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/30/arts/television/black-mirror-season-4-netflix.html?hpw&rref=television&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region®ion=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0A new season of Netflix’s digital-age creep show warns that technology can empower misanthropes and misogynists. SaveSave [...]
- Pantone Colour of the Year 2018 has b... — It’s Nice That | Pantone Colour of the Year 2018 has been announcedhttps://www.itsnicethat.com/news/pantone-colour-of-the-year-2018-ultra-violet-071217?ref=donvy.comPantone has announced its Colour of the Year 2018 is Ultra Violet, or Pantone 18-3838 TCX. Unveiled in The New York Times, the announcement is based on in-depth research, trend forecasting and analysis of current culture. [...]
- ‘Mailsploit’ Lets Hackers Forge Perfe... — https://www.wired.com/story/mailsploit-lets-hackers-forge-perfect-email-spoofs/?mbid=nl_120617_daily_list3_p5The attack uncovers bugs in how more than a dozen programs implement email’s creaky protocol. Haddouche says he contacted all of the affected firms months ago to warn them about the vulnerabilities he’s found. Yahoo Mail, Protonmail and Hushmail have already fixed their bugs, while Apple and Microsoft have told Haddouche they’re working on a [...]
- 12 Signal App Tips for Secure Chats — 12 Signal App Tips for Secure Chats | PCMag.comhttps://www.pcmag.com/feature/350969/12-signal-app-tips-for-secure-chats?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=whatsnewnow&utm_medium=titleActivating end-to-end encryption for calls and messages might seem a little extreme for private citizens. But with digital liberty under attack, tech companies cooperating with spy agencies, and cyber attacks big and small affecting thousands every day, it behooves everyone to take privacy seriously. Signal, a secure [...]