Techies vie for the title of ‘Sexiest Geek Alive’ in this Wired News article, “In Search of the Sexiest Geek.” The search for this year’s winner started last Tuesday in Indianapolis, which is the first of 11 regional competitions and will end with three geeks to compete in the finals in San Jose, California, on June 21.
Hard Bodies Who Love Hard Drives
- Disney’s ‘Star Wars’ theme park is ta... — Disney’s ‘Star Wars’ theme park is taking shapehttps://www.engadget.com/2017/07/14/disney-star-wars-theme-park/Due to open in 2019 at both Disneyland in California and Disney World in Florida, the new area “will transport guests to a never-before-seen planet” — which just happens to look like every weathered, forgettable world characters from the films briefly touch down on to get a ship [...]
- The Sideways Elevator of the Future I... — https://www.wired.com/story/the-sideways-elevator-of-the-future-is-here?mbid=nl_7917_p1&CNDID=49046367The Multi elevator goes up and down, left and right, even diagonally—and it could change the way buildings are designed. Put aside your doubts. After three years of work, the company is testing the Multi in a German tower and finalizing the safety certification. This crazy contraption zooms up, down, left, right, and diagonally. ThyssenKrupp [...]
- The Lawsuit That Could Pop Alphabet’s... — https://www.wired.com/story/the-lawsuit-that-could-pop-alphabets-project-loon-balloons/?mbid=nl_7817_p1&CNDID=49046367In a reversal of Alphabet’s case against Uber, a competitor just scored a big win against moonshot factory X in a suit over trade secrets. Last summer, a small company called Space Data sued Alphabet’s ‘moonshot’ X division. At issue was its effort to deliver internet access to remote areas by balloon, known as Project [...]
- One year on, who still plays Pokémon ... — Pokemon Go is getting a first anniversary update, but is anyone still playing? | WIRED UKhttp://www.wired.co.uk/article/pokemon-go-first-anniversary-who-still-playsA year ago today, Pokémon Go swept the world. WIRED set out to track down players who are still trying to catch ’em all. In April this year, Niantic announced that 65 million people were playing every month, with a [...]
- WIRED Awake June 7: France plans to b... — WIRED Awake June 7: France plans to ban petrol and diesel cars | WIRED UKhttp://www.wired.co.uk/article/wired-awake-070717?mbid=nl_7717_p10&CNDID=49046367France’s environment minister has outlined plans to eliminate petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040, memory sales have driven Samsung’s biggest ever quarterly profit, Google-backed journalism fund invests in robot reporters for the UK, you’re about to get more control over your [...]