Techies vie for the title of ‘Sexiest Geek Alive’ in this Wired News article, “In Search of the Sexiest Geek.” The search for this year’s winner started last Tuesday in Indianapolis, which is the first of 11 regional competitions and will end with three geeks to compete in the finals in San Jose, California, on June 21.
Hard Bodies Who Love Hard Drives
- Newly Discovered Router Malware Likel... — Newly Discovered Router Malware Likely Created By Govt. Agencyhttps://www.idropnews.com/news/fast-tech/newly-discovered-slingshot-router-malware-likely-created-by-govt-agency/65760/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=03162018&utm_term=NewsletterSecurity researchers have discovered a new piece of malware that’s so sophisticated that it went undetected for six years. The so-called Slingshot malware was first spotted by researchers at Kaspersky Lab. Instead of infecting a computer, Slingshot embeds itself into a network’s router. And it’s so advanced [...]
- A Physicist’s Farewell to Stephen Haw... — A Physicist’s Farewell to Stephen Hawking | The New Yorkerhttps://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/a-physicists-farewell-to-stephen-hawkingHawking was a scientific and cultural revolutionary. He saw the cosmos as no one before him had—and he could explain it to the masses, too. Stephen Hawking delighted in reminding audiences that he was born three hundred years to the day after the death of Galileo, [...]
- Apple’s 2018 WWDC keynote happens Jun... — Apple’s 2018 WWDC keynote happens June 4thhttps://www.engadget.com/2018/03/13/apple-s-2018-wwdc-event-starts-june-4th/Apple has announced the dates for its annual developer conference, WWDC. The event is scheduled for June 4th through 8th and like last year, it will take place in San Jose’s McEnery Convention Center. [...]
- How to read less news but be more inf... — Stop reading the latest news if you want to be better informed — Quartzhttps://qz.com/1222019/stop-reading-the-latest-news-if-you-want-to-be-better-informed/Instead of focusing on what everyone is already talking about, hunt down unusual knowledge. Writer and futurist Richard Watson may teach London business students and Silicon Valley tech companies how to think about crafting tools for tomorrow, but he’s not even on [...]
- US Border Patrol Hasn’t Validated E-P... — https://www.wired.com/story/us-border-patrol-hasnt-validated-e-passport-data-for-years/For over a decade, US Customs and Border Protection has been unable to verify the cryptographic signatures on e-Passports, because they never installed the right software. A skilled hacker could alter the data on an e-Passport chip—like the name, photo, or expiration date—without fear that signature verification would alert a border agent to the changes. [...]