SiliconValley.com has this article on what it’s like inside the extremely wired homes of the rich. Start planning for your future home’s Head End – the control room housing those floor-to-ceiling banks of servers, routers, computers and other requisite gadgets for the ultimate wired home. Aside from the basic distributed audio/video, master control system for heat, lights and security, integrated computer and communications system – some even added a custom “aroma system” that pumps one of six fragrances into selected rooms with a tap on the touch pad. • Stanley Kubrick’s 1968 film, “2001: A Space Odyssey,” showed a future that seemed distant enough to give us time to invent it. ZDNet’s eWEEK Labs examines 12 technologies that corporate IT must watch in 2001 in their Tech 2001 article.
Digital homes • Tech in 2K1
- From Black Panther to X-Men: Dark Pho... — https://www.wired.com/story/most-anticipated-movies-2018/Between Spielbergian sci-fi and Marvel mega-crossovers 2018 is shaping up to be a big year for big movies. SaveSave Early Man (February 16) The latest from Aardman Animations is about, yes, early cavemen and their battle to save their way of life from an evil lord (voiced by Tom Hiddleston) and the inhabitants of nearby [...]
- Greedy, Brittle, Opaque, and Shallow:... — “We are born knowing there are causal relationships in the world, that wholes can be made of parts, and that the world consists of places and objects that persist in space and time,” Gary Marcus says. “No machine ever learned any of that stuff using backprop.” https://www.wired.com/story/greedy-brittle-opaque-and-shallow-the-downsides-to-deep-learning/Gary Marcus, a professor of cognitive psychology at NYU [...]
- The WIRED Guide to Hyperloop — https://www.wired.com/story/guide-hyperloop/Everything you ever wanted to know about Elon Musk’s fever-dream train-in-a-tube. [...]
- The WIRED Guide to the Blockchain — https://www.wired.com/story/guide-blockchain/It’s super secure and slightly hard to understand, but the idea of creating tamper-proof databases has captured the attention of everyone from anarchist techies to staid bankers. [...]
- The WIRED Guide to Drones — https://www.wired.com/story/guide-drones/Everything you need to know about the tiny flyers that are going to fill the skies, transforming entire industries for the better—and worse. [...]