SiliconValley.com has this article on what it’s like inside the extremely wired homes of the rich. Start planning for your future home’s Head End – the control room housing those floor-to-ceiling banks of servers, routers, computers and other requisite gadgets for the ultimate wired home. Aside from the basic distributed audio/video, master control system for heat, lights and security, integrated computer and communications system – some even added a custom “aroma system” that pumps one of six fragrances into selected rooms with a tap on the touch pad. • Stanley Kubrick’s 1968 film, “2001: A Space Odyssey,” showed a future that seemed distant enough to give us time to invent it. ZDNet’s eWEEK Labs examines 12 technologies that corporate IT must watch in 2001 in their Tech 2001 article.
Digital homes • Tech in 2K1
- The Decline of Poverty — The Decline of Poverty – Future Crunch – Mediumhttps://medium.com/future-crunch/global-inequality-is-getting-better-fdbfde215b73Your opinions about global inequality really depend on where you’re standing. We should continue to highlight the plight of those who are still living in extreme poverty. And we should continue to insist that our political leaders enact policies that reduce inequality within our own countries. [...]
- The Sideways Elevator of the Future I... — https://www.wired.com/story/the-sideways-elevator-of-the-future-is-here?mbid=nl_7917_p1&CNDID=49046367The Multi elevator goes up and down, left and right, even diagonally—and it could change the way buildings are designed. Put aside your doubts. After three years of work, the company is testing the Multi in a German tower and finalizing the safety certification. This crazy contraption zooms up, down, left, right, and diagonally. ThyssenKrupp [...]
- The Lawsuit That Could Pop Alphabet’s... — https://www.wired.com/story/the-lawsuit-that-could-pop-alphabets-project-loon-balloons/?mbid=nl_7817_p1&CNDID=49046367In a reversal of Alphabet’s case against Uber, a competitor just scored a big win against moonshot factory X in a suit over trade secrets. Last summer, a small company called Space Data sued Alphabet’s ‘moonshot’ X division. At issue was its effort to deliver internet access to remote areas by balloon, known as Project [...]
- One year on, who still plays Pokémon ... — Pokemon Go is getting a first anniversary update, but is anyone still playing? | WIRED UKhttp://www.wired.co.uk/article/pokemon-go-first-anniversary-who-still-playsA year ago today, Pokémon Go swept the world. WIRED set out to track down players who are still trying to catch ’em all. In April this year, Niantic announced that 65 million people were playing every month, with a [...]
- WIRED Awake June 7: France plans to b... — WIRED Awake June 7: France plans to ban petrol and diesel cars | WIRED UKhttp://www.wired.co.uk/article/wired-awake-070717?mbid=nl_7717_p10&CNDID=49046367France’s environment minister has outlined plans to eliminate petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040, memory sales have driven Samsung’s biggest ever quarterly profit, Google-backed journalism fund invests in robot reporters for the UK, you’re about to get more control over your [...]