Check out a review of University of Texas Professor Allucquere Rosanne Stone’s recent book “The War of Desire and Technology at the Close of the Mechanical Age” at Slashdot here. Stone looks at virtual cross-dressers, busy cyber-labs and phone sex to capture that strange but undeniably real point where the boundaries between our technologies and ourselves continue to implode. Not your typical academic writing about cyberspace.
The War of Desire and Technology…
- What technology are we addicted to th... — What technology are we addicted to this time? – Timelinehttps://timeline.com/what-technology-are-we-addicted-to-this-time-f0f7860f2fabFrom novels to telephones to smartphones, we’re always supposedly hooked on the latest medium [...]
- How Kubrick’s ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’... — How Kubrick’s ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ Saw Into the Future – WSJhttps://www.wsj.com/articles/how-kubricks-2001-a-space-odyssey-saw-into-the-future-1520609361?mod=trending_now_4Now 50 years old, the famously opaque science-fiction classic anticipated flat-screen technology and artificial intelligence. Fifty years ago next month, invitation-only audiences gathered in specially equipped Cinerama theaters in Washington, New York and Los Angeles to preview a widescreen epic that director Stanley Kubrick [...]
- Facebook ending News Feed experiment ... — Facebook ending News Feed experiment condemned as ‘Orwellian’ | Technology | The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/01/facebook-news-feed-experiment-media-posts?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=266179&subid=19723158&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2Company announces end to trial in which professional news posts were removed from users’ feeds in six countries. The backlash from news organizations in the affected countries was swift. “Facebook doesn’t think about consequences and has no interest at all in what is [...]
- Deepfakes and the technology behind i... — Click investigates deep fakes, software used to swap faces in video, turning Spencer into President Trump. Plus a hands-on with cardboard videogame peripherals and behind the scenes at a Sci-Fi fashion show. [...]
- Nobody Wants to Let Google Win the Wa... — Nobody Wants to Let Google Win the War for Maps All Over Again – Bloomberghttps://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-02-21/nobody-wants-to-let-google-win-the-war-for-maps-all-over-again?utm_campaign=news&utm_medium=bd&utm_source=applenewsSelf-driving cars need painfully detailed data on every inch of street. Can automakers solve the problem without the reigning superpower of maps? Google won by blanketing the globe with its street-mapping cars and with software expertise that couldn’t be matched by [...]